Thursday, April 12, 2012

Big Busy Bees

I thought all large black and yellow bees were bumble bees. Silly me. I have learned over the past few weeks that the majority of big bees around the house are carpenter bees. Named for their talent, they drill perfectly round, half-inch holes into wood structures for nests. North Carolina State University's entomology folks say the bees don't eat the wood, they just "excavate tunnels for nesting."

We have a lot of excavating going on! I watched a couple busy guys at work on the new fascia boards on the front of the house this week. The bees are speedy workers and when one gets tired, another flies in to take over the jaw chomping task.

I'm not afraid of bees and the males don't sting, but I do have my limits. One bee blew it by drilling two holes into the overhang just above the back door. So, I stuck cotton balls drenched with peppermint oil into the holes and after two days of hovering, the weary bee went elsewhere, most likely to start again.

We're still trying to figure out what to do - or not to do - with these uninvited house guests.

Carpenter bees have a black tail section, like this one on a fading azalea blossom.
Mr. Busy Bee at his recently-excavated front door in the new fascia board on the front of the house.

At the corner of the carport, one tired bee flies off while another takes over the drilling.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how quickly they can drill a hole through siding or a solid core door. Your peppermint oil remedy is likely to be effective...for that hole or two. Cinnamon deters ants, so might do the same for bees. Wonder if some more serious approach is in order. It is too bad when one hears about the plight of bees and the need for good pollinators, but do these bees play a pollinating role for fruits, and flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can build a house but I can't make a bee,
    just sayin', he he he.

    It must be way past my bedtime cause I know I haven't been drinking. Thank you so much, Jeannie, for including that old house in your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete